A rather small member of the rodent family, the flying squirrel is a bit inaccurately named; these charming creatures cannot actually fly. They have flaps of skin that allow them to glide across treetops from tree to tree. Northern flying squirrels, found in Utah, are nocturnal and sometimes make their way into attics, barns, and sheds.
Common Flying Squirrel Issues
Are flying squirrels known to get into homes or yards?
- Flying squirrels often construct nests in ornamental and shade trees on lawns, in barns and sheds, and in attics.
- They may also take up residence in parks, golf courses, and other areas with constant human activity and sufficient vegetation, though they are seldom seen by people due to their nocturnal habits.
Do flying squirrels harm people or property?
- As they are responsible for the spread of fungi spores and seeds of trees, flying squirrels are largely considered beneficial.
- However, they become problematic when they move onto lawns and into attics, as they make a lot of sound at night.
- Additionally, their urine smells foul and can carry harmful bacteria.
- Flying squirrels also gnaw on walls, structural support beams, and wires.
Flying Squirrel Control
Control and Safety
- Property owners can make modifications to homes and yards to ensure the surrounding area is less favorable to flying squirrels.
- Close up all possible entry points to homes by covering small openings, sealing cracks, replacing broken window and door screens, and adding screens to vents and chimneys.
- Remove possible sources of food by fitting indoor and outdoor trash bins with tightly sealed lids.
- Finally, restrict flying squirrel access to roofs by trimming tree branches that hang over or close to rooftops.
Trapping and Removal
Though humans and flying squirrels are typically able to coexist peacefully, females become aggressive when they feel their territory is threatened. Untrained individuals should never attempt to approach the wild animals as interaction may result in injury. Contact the technicians at Critter Control for humane and safe removal of flying squirrels from private property.
We can help you get rid of flying squirrel problems. Call today!Request a Quote